Over 170 community advocates from foundations, peer nonprofits, giving circles, corporate giving programs, local government agencies, and the broader community evaluate applications (200+ a year) for their critical local impact. Less than 90 nonprofits are selected annually. Every featured organization has been “site visited” by at least one volunteer or CFP staff. We also complete a financial review, during which we review 990 filings, audited financials, and other key financial indicators to ensure financial viability and transparency. And all organizations on the Catalogue website must re-apply every four years. We leverage the region’s knowledge for the benefit of the entire community.
Become a ReviewerThe Catalogue for Philanthropy is currently recruiting volunteer reviewers for the 2023-2024 cycle. As a volunteer your review of the applicants will help us to determine which nonprofits to include in the Catalogue network. Your comments also help us give feedback to unsuccessful applicants as they seek to improve their applications, and organizations, in the future .
To become a reviewer, you must:
- Live or work in the Greater Washington DC region
- Have a minimum of three years of professional experience.
- Have experience in and/or knowledge of the nonprofit sector, philanthropy, community development, or community organizing.
- Have familiarity, interest, or expertise in one or more of the social issues our applicants serve: Nature (Environment and Animal Services), Culture (Youth and Community Arts or Performing, Literary and Visual Arts), Education (Youth Education and Education and Enrichment; Mentorship and College Access; or Adult Literacy and Learning), or Human Services (Children, Youth and Families; Girls and Women; Immigrant and Refugee Services; Veterans and Military Families; Health, Wellness and Senior Services; Basic Needs, Food and Housing; Legal Services and Justice Programs; Life Skills, Training, and Employment; or Community and Civic Engagement)
- Not be a member of the board or staff of a nonprofit organization that is applying to be featured in the Catalogue for Philanthropy. More information for applying nonprofits is available here.
- Commit to 4-8 hours of reviewing from early March to mid-April. Time commitment is dependent on personal reviewing style; each reviewer will be assigned approximately 5-10 applications.