Volunteer Opportunities / Responsibilities: LCMC relies on volunteers to carry out most of our services. In fact, we are one of the largest volunteer-based organizations in Montgomery County! LCMC offers a wide variety of volunteer jobs:
- ESL (English as a Second Language) & Basic Literacy Tutors work with small groups or one-on-one. Tutors meet with their adult students 2 hours per week, at a location close to their home or work. LCMC conducts tutor training workshops, where tutors learn techniques to help adults learn to read, write, and/or speak English.
- Tutor Contacts collect monthly data from tutors and provide support to the hundreds of tutors active at any one time.
- Student Support Aides and Teaching Assistants support instructional staff in the ESL classroom-based program.
- Volunteer teams of lead teachers and classroom assistants teach “English for Daily Living” life-skills classes.
- Conversation club (LC Chats) facilitators help new English learners to practice and develop their skills in American idiomatic English in a supportive and friendly environment.
- Instructional volunteers tutor learners at pre-GED levels in reading and/or math.
- Staff support volunteers assist with a variety of tasks at the LCMC office.
Types of Volunteers Needed: individual/adult; individual/college
Hours Needed: business hours during the week; evenings during the week