Consider the complexities of applying to college - negotiating the SAT's, grappling with finances, preparing for interviews - all of which need to be addressed while keeping up with school. Now imagine how those complexities multiply for students who are first in their family to consider higher education. For First Generation College Bound kids, support systems that ease the way and promise success just aren't there (only 2% have a parent with a college degree). So FGCB provides the crucial support and guidance that low- and middle-income students need to get into college and succeed. Homework Clubs operated from subsidized housing sites provide learning interventions and academic support to students at all grade levels. The Pre-College and College Access programs reach 240 students at Maryland middle and high schools. And the College Retention program supports 300 students in their goal of graduating on time. That goal is well within their grasp: an extraordinary 85% of FGCB alums hold bachelor's degrees and, of these, more than 20% earn advanced degrees. You can help the numbers grow!
Headquarters: MD-Prince George's County
Where They Operate: MD-Prince George's County
Age Groups Served: Youth (5-11)
Ethnic Groups Served: African American; Caucasian; Latino/Hispanic
Population(s) Served: Students; Low- to Moderate-Income
Schools They Work In: Dwight D. Eisenhower Middle School; Charles Carrol Middle School; Fairmont Heights High School; Central High School; Laurel High School; Parkdale High School; Potomac High School
- Number of college graduates:
- Number of students served annually:
- The amount of financial aid the organization has helped our students secure over the past 9 years:
- Total number of students we have helped enter college:
Awards & Recognition
1. The CUA Smathers Award, The Catholic University of America (2015)
2. Certificate of Completion, Leaders Engaged in Achieving Development (2012)
3. Closing the Achievement Gap Award, Maryland State Education Association (2011)
4. National Council of Negro Women Angels Among Us Award, Honorable Mention (2010)
5. Official Citation, Prince George's County and Anne Arundel County Legislative District 21 (2010)
6. Proclamation, Governor of the State of Maryland (2010)
- First Generation College Bound celebrates 23rd class of college-bound graduates
Mon Jun 24 2013, Laurel Leader
FGCB was featured in the Laurel Leader for our 23rd Annual Celebration at the University of Maryland College Park.
- $3 million or higher
- $1 million to $3 million
- $500k to $1 million
- The current budget for First Generation College Bound is: Less than $500k
Catalogue charities range in size from $100,000 to
About the Catalogue for Philanthropy
Each year 120 expert reviewers evaluate applicants for distinction, merit, and impact. Each featured charity has been successfully site visited and its financials given the thumbs up. The Catalogue for Philanthropy charges no fees and raises funds separately to support its work. Since 2003, it has raised over $34 million for charities across the Greater Washington region.
The Catalogue for Philanthropy looks to friends like you to keep our services independent and entirely free of charge. Consider a small contribution to the Catalogue to cap off your gift and help the causes you care about get the full support they deserve!